Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Beauty Favorites

I am a makeup minimalist; I don't have the extensive collection. However, the few products I have I am extremely loyal to.

In terms of my hair, I have very thick and now, very long hair and I swear by Davines. My little sister and my mom introduced me to Melu conditioner this summer, and I am never looking back. Melu is designed to repair long damaged hair, and has made mine visibly stronger and much shinier. It's a little on the pricey side, but you can find good deals on ebay and amazon sometime (if you can accept the sketch).

I have already blogged about my love of Oscar Blandi's Dry Shampoo. But have I mentioned I love it? It's a great product for in between showers, to save some water and your hair.

In terms of skincare, I haven't found any cleansers or masks that I am absolutely in love with, but I am still on the hunt. Suggestions? However, thanks to my genetic misfortune, I am absolutely a sunscreen addict. My favorite for the beach is Neutrogena's 100+ SPF, it's light and doesn't leave my skin feeling oily.

For my face, I always start with sunscreen, my new favorite is Invisible Zincs Tinted Facial Moisturizer. The zinc actually blocks out the rays, and the light tint evens my skin tone.

Day to Day, I don't wear that much makeup, but I always put on a bit of blush. My go-to is Benefit's Dandelion.

The other product I use daily is mascara. My favorite is Chanel's Inimitable. I love that it has a small non-bristle brush, so I can get it close to my eye without poking myself. It sounds silly, but I think it's a great beginner's mascara. Plus, it doesn't clump.

The last item I use daily is Rosebud. I love the smell, and it keeps my lips from cracking in the extreme Maine weather. As I am completely makeup inept, when I go out at night I have to keep my makeup pretty simple as well. My coloring is pretty extreme (pale skin, blue eyes, dark brown hair), so usually I pick one feature to accentuate and keep the rest of my face neutral.

I love red lipstick. My mom used to wear fire engine red all through college, and so when I go out I love to wear a red lip. However, unlike my mom, I am don't have a steady enough hand for real red lipstick, so I steer towards alternatives such as red stains and glosses which are more forgiving and more readily removed. My favorite stain is Lipstick Queen's Medieval Queen; it's subtle but definitely red.

When I want a more aggressive red, I reach for Lipstick Queen's Fired Up gloss. It's a bright, pouty red, and I absolutely adore it.

I am completely helpless when it comes to eyeshadow and eyeliner. I can't get close to my eye without twitching, blinking, and squinting. I don't know how other girls do it. Thankfully I have a very kind and patient, makeup goddess as a roommate, and so normally I don't have to fend for myself. However, when it's just mirror and me, I rely on my Serge Lutens' eyeliner to get me through. Serge Luten's eyeliner is a gel liner that has a hard edge brush that you dip into the pot. I love the look of liquid liner but the flexible brushes always mess me up, so I love the hard unmoving edge of Serge Lutens' eyeliner. It's easy to put on, and it doesn't budge once it has dried.

When I wear eyeliner, I always go for a nude lip, but I think a little bit of nude gloss is the perfect finish for a night out. My go to is Lipstick Queen's Fifteen Minutes of Fame Pop Art Min 1.

For a scent, I think every girl is on her own, but I love Serge Lutens' line. I hate the alcoholic smell of most perfumes, so I love that Serge Lutens is oil based. The line is mostly unisex, and each scent is very distinctive. It's definitely a brand to shop if you are looking for a signature scent. I go between Datura Noir and Filles En Aiguilles.

No comments:

Post a Comment